Re: [xml-dev]Changing Namespaces Between Specification Versions

Thanks for the mention fraser.  Some of the works that I've done have
been on the TAG at
http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/doc/versioning-compatibility-strategies
covers much of this.

Personally, I like the idea of using the namespace name to indicate
incompatible changes and version #s to indicate compatible changes.

The issue of multi-namespaces and appropriate version #s is very
difficult.  What is the version of a doc that contains n different
namespaces, each which may be versioned compatibly and retain their
namespaces?  Do we have to have a version # that is a composite of the
union of all the namespaced items that may be present in the document?
 In my mind, a version # or a namespace on a root element is most
useful for advance warning to a consumer about what to expect in the
document.  However, that only works in some situations, typically when
machines have generated the namespace or version number.  HTML has
proven that any version identifier created by humans is highly prone
to error and ultimately ineffective.

Cheers,
Dave