From: Ken Starks [mailto:ken@lampsacos.demon.co.uk]
Sent: Thursday, May 07, 2009 11:45 AM
To: Costello, Roger L.
Subject: Re: [xml-dev] Canonical set of rules for systems?

The main thing that is missing, to my way of thinking, is some sort of
overall quality metric for user-friendliness.
Informally stated, "Do the  users come away from a session on the system
feeling happy?"
i.e.   How shall we know - in six months time - that the system as a
whole is working nicely ?  that its
users enjoy using it ?

For a web-based system, this can to a certain extent be measured by
recording mouse-clicks that
reveal false trails or early quitting by the users; or that measure how
they return to the site; or social-networking
recommendations, etc.
For other systems you might need to build-in some sort of feedback form,
trouble-ticket system, help line or
whatever, and take data from that for statistical analysis.

I am sure we have all used systems that work according to the designers'
sets of rules, but leave you
feeling ... well ... (Grr) .. angry. Last week, for example, I bought a
train ticket online, and the system
insisted on making me jump through a zillion hoops, and asked me a
zillion completely irrelevant
questions. And it made me go right back to the beginning when I decided
to take a single ticket rather
than a return  ( ... Grr, Grr ! ).

Please make sure your canonical set of rules discourage that ! To do so
would certainly be part of
my design brief if I asked you to design a system for me.

Yours sincerely,
Ken.