RE: [xml-dev] Saxon and Sun Serializer problems?

On Fri, 29 May 2009 14:40:38 -0700, Jim Tivy wrote:
> With regards to what a Transform Identity means - what does identity means.
> If it means InfoSet identity then if I read Infoset right:

But it doesn't.  The infoset specification came out after DOM and SAX
and XPath, and attempted to unify the various different models.  XPath
(1.0 in this case, I assume) has its own notion of what is and is not
important (or even visible).  XSLT (1.0) builds upon XPath.

> If it is XPath/XQuery DM identity - then if as you say there may be no idea
> of a DocType there, then that is a perhaps a flaw.

I dunno if they've addressed the issue in the XQuery Data Model (which
is post-infoset, and an attempt to be still more formal and rigorous),
as the doctype declaration or internal subset effectively exists at a
"different layer" of processing (this is true even for bare XML 1.0,
pre-edition-X, pre-namespaces, pre-infoset).  It is, roughly speaking,
the same reason that an identity transform of é is considered
correct if it produces é (the transformation does not operate at the
processing level that exposes general parsed character entities; it
just gets characters ... and likewise, the doctype decl and internal
DTD subset are gone before it has a chance to look at them).

Amy!
--
Amelia A. Lewis                    amyzing {at} talsever.com
According to Business Week, in the 1990s the ratio between a chief