RE: [xml-dev] What is declarative XML? (And what's not)

> The distinction I am making is between:
>
>     XML documents that are devoid of processing semantics.
>     More accurately, the markup is devoid of processing
>     semantics. These documents announce to their recipients,
>     "Here I am, use me in whatever way makes sense to you.
>     YOU are responsible. YOU are in charge."
>
> versus
>
>     XML documents that have inherent processing semantics.
>     These documents announce  to their recipients, "I must
>     be processed according to my terms. I am responsible.
>     I am in charge."

I cannot think of any documents in category B. It's in the nature of data
that the recipient can do whatever they like with it. There may be an
out-of-band understanding between sender and recipient about the intended
reason for sending the message, but the XML itself is just data, which the
recipient can use any way they choose.

Regards,

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/