Re: [xml-dev] an actual MS IE XSLT issue

Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:
> * Julian Reschke wrote:
>> And sure enough, when I change the XSLT's output element to use utf-8,
>> the problem goes away. The problem also occurs with us-ascii.
>>
>> Now, this really doesn't make sense. If the output encoding can not
>> directly encode the character, it should just be encoded using a
>> character reference.
>
> That is not possible in comments, element names, etc. In your example
> the transformation attempts to generate a warning message containing
> some character outside the set of ISO-8859-1.

Wow, good catch.

The warning is only emitted because artwork gets to wide, and the
artwork gets to wide because of the whitespace handling issue in IE's
XSLT that we all know and love.

That's why the problem did not occur for other engines, nor for MSXML
run from the command line.

Thanks a lot, Björn!

BR, Julian