Re: [xml-dev] Formulas in XML values

Nico,
> If you put formulas like that in the data fields of XML, then you are
> coming back to raw text data that you will have to parse, losing the
> power of XML ? Why not use MathML and tools associated ?
 From my point of view, MathML is more in a rendering approach. I'm
interested in XForms input field for web applications because users
still need a calculator to set them sometimes !

There is no complex mathematics there and a text expression is all what
is required. XPath doesn't have an XML notation either... and formulas I
need require a much simpler syntax.

You are right about the parsing problem and an XML notation would be
better for sure. Even so, an XML notation could be much more disturbing
for validation tools.

BTW, do you know any MathML tool able to reduce expressions ?

Best regards,

Alain Couthures
<agenceXML>
http://www.agencexml.com