Re: [xml-dev] Pragmatic namespaces

Original Message From: "Kurt Cagle"

>> What would we lose if attributes were not namespaced?
> The biggest issue I can see with that is with either xlink or xmlid, and
> neither of those are showstoppers:
> <chapter xml:id="foo">Bar</chapter> becomes
> <xml:target id="foo"><chapter>Bar</chapter></xml:target>

Can't we just treat members of the xml namespace as special?  Since this
proposal never cuts up tags around colons, and doesn't assign any meaning to
bits before a colon and bits after a colon, xml:id and friends can be just
treated as opaque quantities.  i.e. <chapter xml:id="foo">Bar</chapter> is

Pete Cordell