Re: [xml-dev] Pragmatic namespaces

>>> What would we lose if attributes were not namespaced?
>> xsi:type and its friends?

XSD 1.0 had xsi:type because its bogus models of what people used
attributes for was not sustainable.

XSD 1.1 fixes this a little by allowing selection of type by a wider range
of markup. So I would expect that xsi:type will wither on the vine over
the next decade. I don't know that it is a show-stopper, because there is
a better workaround.

(The rub being that where companies don't switch to the latest version of
the XSD 1.1 spec, they will be more stuck with xsi:type. And this rub
exists largely because XSD 1.0 is so monolithic that implementers are
loath to re-visit their implementations.)