Re: [xml-dev] Wikipedia on XML

On Aug 7, 2009, at 6:17 PM, Michael Kay wrote:

>>> A language for describing the syntax of another language?
>>
>> Despite the L in XML, syntax alone does not constitute a language.
>
> Agreed.

I agree too, but saying that syntax alone does not constitute a
language is not an explicit denial that XML is a language.  If XML is
not a language, would someone please explain why (or in what sense)?
Or if XML is a language but it's just a bad idea to describe it that
way in Wikipedia, could someone explain why THAT is?  I believe we've
agreed that XML is a subset of SGML.  Is SGML not a language either?

>> It's only a language if there are words. XML doesn't define
>> words.

This is a formal language (syntax, specification, system, frog,
whatever) we're talking about.  The general "language" entry (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Language
) in Wikipedia says "A language is a system for encoding and decoding
information."  That seems like a reasonable place to start.  That same
entry references an entry on "markup language" (which in turn
describes XML as a "meta markup language").  The overall description
of "markup language" (and the one of XML there) doesn't seem all that
unreasonable either.  If you want to start, in the XML entry, adopting
highly restrictive definitions of concepts like "language" and other
relevant terms so that, for example, something plainly called
Extensible Markup *Language* isn't one according to these (unstated)
definitions, while it plainly is according to stated Wikipedia
definitions, I'm afraid you are apt to confuse an awful lot of people
for whom you are supposed to be writing.