RE: [xml-dev] Lesson Learned: Use namespaces for both markup and data

> Would it be sensible for XSD to have a simple type of
> xs:JCnQName (James Clark Notation QName) that accepted
> '{http://www.aquarium.org}tank' as valid input?  Then the
> JCnQName could be moved out of context without losing information.

I would go further, and make this a valid value in the lexical space of the
xs:QName data type, unless excluded from the lexical space using the pattern
facet.

It's worth remembering though that the problem is not QNames in content, it
is namespace prefixes in content. In XSLT, namespace prefixes appear in
content as part of

  - expressions (select="fn:concat()")

  - nametests (elements="xs:*")

  - on their own (exclude-result-prefixes="xs fo")

Regards,

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/
http://twitter.com/michaelhkay