Re: [xml-dev] Lesson Learned: Use namespaces for both markup and data

On Sun, Aug 9, 2009 at 10:58 AM, Kurt Cagle<kurt.cagle@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think we've hit the critical usage mass where there's enough people
> recognizing that there are problems here to perhaps create a permanent
> namespace solution, something that will address a lot of the problems of a
> spec that's always been the ungainly stepchild of the XML movement.

Sorry, but we're not even remotely close to critical mass on that. The
only way that's ever going to happen is through an essentially
incompatible update/replacement of XML itself along the lines of what
XML did to SGML. That might happen; heck, it probably will happen; but
not soon. If you break namespaces, you break everything, so you might
as well fix everything while you're at it.

--
Elliotte Rusty Harold
elharo@ibiblio.org