RE: [xml-dev] Wikipedia on XML

The mistake was requiring the DTD to be present in order to parse the
document.

In my (admittedly limited) experience the DTD is required only to resolve
named entities and to validate.  I know there are other features, but have
never seen them used.

Named entities have almost always been drawn from a standardized set which
ideally would have been defined and built into XML.  In fact we recommend
against their use altogether, and request that our data suppliers provide
UTF-8 or numeric entities exclusively.

Validation is something you only want to do when you want to do it, not
whenever you parse.

-Mike