Re: [xml-dev] Wikipedia on XML

Amelia A Lewis schrieb am 25.08.2009 um 17:24:46 (-0400):
> On Tue, 25 Aug 2009 22:35:01 +0200, Michael Ludwig wrote:
> > Browsers do not need to download anything they already have in
> > a local cache. They could add the important DTDs here:
> >
> > C:\temp :: dir "C:\Programme\Mozilla Firefox\res\dtd" /s /b
> > C:\Programme\Mozilla Firefox\res\dtd\mathml.dtd
> > C:\Programme\Mozilla Firefox\res\dtd\xhtml11.dtd
> >
> > People just need to agree on what's important.
>
> This seems to be an attitude common for the HTML-centered (is it
> appropriate to describe you so?)

I don't think so :-) I don't really understand this HTML/XML discussion.
Seems somehow political to me. I guess I'd have to be following for a
longer time in order to understand. And I haven't followed the new HTML
movement at all. I don't know what they want.

So unfortunately, I didn't understand your strategic observations on
HTML and XML either. Maybe it's some kind of Bolshevik-Menshevik
conflict?

> (Mind you, I'm not suggesting that XML is free of "we must control"
> attitudes; see, for instance, W3C XML Schema, in which the collection
> of primitive types are all you get, unless you can convince the Schema
> WG to add *your* favorite unrelated primitive datatype to the
> collection).

I read your gHorribleKludge article :-) [1]

> (with apologies to Michael Ludwig; the thought's been percolating, and
> his comment simply triggered this note in response)

No offense taken at all. (I always hope my comments trigger insightful
replies. Just sometimes, like now, I lack the background necessary to
understand.)

--
Michael Ludwig

[1] Not My Type: Sizing Up W3C XML Schema Primitives