URL versus relative path schemaLocation imports

Hi,

We have a large number of XML schemas and have separated some of these into
common schemas that we reuse using the xsd import element.

e.g.
<xsd:import namespace="http://...."; schemaLocation="...."/>

I was wondering if there are any best practices for choosing URL
(http://....) over a relative path (../../schema.xsd). Any references to
documentation or discussions would be great.

Using a HTTP URL requires that we host these schemas on a web server and that
imposes a runtime dependency for us as our implementation technology (JAXB)
requires that we validate against these schemas at runtime.

Thanks,
Paul Ryan.

Please note that Revenue cannot guarantee that any personal
and sensitive data, sent in plain text via standard email,
is fully secure. Customers who choose to use this channel
are deemed to have accepted any risk involved. The alternative
communication methods offered by Revenue include standard post
and the option to register for our (encrypted) secure email service.
http://www.revenue.ie/en/practitioner/secure-email.html