Re: [xml-dev] CDATA headache

Thanks David,

Yes I am aware of the cdata-section-elements XSLT attribute however it does not really solve my problem - about 5% of the elements in the source document are <value/> elements not all of which contain CDATA. If we added new CDATA sections to the output this would probably not satisfy the customer either.

Kind regards,

Michael

On Wed, Sep 9, 2009 at 12:05 PM, David Carlisle <davidc@nag.co.uk> wrote:

> wondering whether anyone could point me to the relevant place which
> specifies that this is expected behaviour of the parser/xslt
> processor.

The XSLT engine has no information about whether CDATA was used so when
it linearises the tree it just does whatever it does, it has to quote <
somehow, but it is free to use cdtat sections or numeric or entity
references. This is exactly the same as using ' or " around attribute
values, the XSLT engine can not preserve those either: it will most
likely always use ".

What you can do is tell the XSLT engine to always use CDATA sections for
those elements add cdata-section-elements="value" to the xslt
stylesheet.

David