is an xml:id attribute a "DTD-determined ID"?

Background: a customer supplies data with xi:include elements using the xpointer scheme for addressing elements in other xml files.  We put it to them that xpointer is not supported by any parsers.  Perhaps someone on this list will tell me this is not true, but I was having trouble getting anything working with the tools I have to hand and convinced the customer to use the element scheme instead.

Now, in trying to get element() addressing working I've run into another hitch: according to Xerces documentation, (http://xerces.apache.org/xerces2-j/faq-xinclude.html), only "DTD-determined IDs" are supported as targets of element() XPointers (by Xerces).  The content at hand has ids defined using xml:id; we are not processing the XML using any DTD.

Question: is xml:id considered a "DTD-determined ID" according to the XProc spec?  I read it, and found this sentence:

[Definition: An attribute information item is a DTD-determined ID if and only if it has a [type definition] property whose value is equal to ID.]

I think that's true of xml:id, but would like it if someone more knowledgeable could confirm or deny

Thanks

-Mike