Re: [xml-dev] is an xml:id attribute a "DTD-determined ID"?

Yes - I was hoping you would pick up this thread. So, I'm not sure I
understood your response.  I guess my basic question is whether it is
feasible to use xpointer="element(<id-value>)" with Xerces (as it seems
from the FAQ), and if so, what needs to be in place for that to work.  I
understand the ids needs to be recognized as such, but I'm a little
unclear on how to make that happen.

I did think (naively, perhaps), that xml:id was just automatically
recognized as having type "ID" by virtue of its special nature.

Then I thought perhaps it is necessary to validate (with a DTD) in order
to get that fact identified (I think this seems to be what you're
saying), so I enabled validation.  But my xpointer references are still
failing.  If you can confirm that this *should* work, then I will assume
the parser isn't actually validating as I thought.

-Mike