My Daily Diary of Validation

Hi Folks,

I wake up. Before entering the bathroom I validate that it is not occupied.

I walk down stairs and get a can of V-8 juice from the 'frig. Before I open it I validate that the expiration date hasn't passed.

Tonight there's a nice movie on TV. I set the VCR to  record the show. I validate that it is programmed correctly.

I'm short on groceries. I write a list of items I need. I go to the store and shop. When finished, I validate the items in my shopping cart against the items on my grocery list.

I pay for the groceries by check. I validate that the total purchase amount is less than the balance in my checking account.

Time for work. I start my car. I validate that the amount of fuel is greater than 1/8 tank (I have a rule that I get gas when the tank gets to 1/8 or less).

As I drive I validate that my speed doesn't exceed the posted limit.

When entering the  highway I validate that I am entering it in the
correct direction.

When exiting the highway I validate that I am taking the correct  exit.

Before proceeding through the intersection I validate that the traffic
signal is green.

Before turning I validate there are no oncoming cars.

I arrive at the subway station. I need cash for the subway train. At the ATM I validate that I got the correct amount.

Before getting on the subway train I validate that the train is for the correct line.

Before getting off the  subway I validate that I am at the correct
station.

I arrive at the office. The guard validates me and my badge.

I need to FAX a document. I validate that the original is face down as required by the machine. I validate that the destination fax number is correct.

I check my inter-office mail. I validate that I am retrieving the mail from the correct bin.

I need to send an email message. I validate that the recipient list is  correct.

Time to go home. I need to first pick up a prescription. I validate that it is correct (it is mine and the medicine is the right one).

Time for bed. I validate that the alarm is on and set to the correct wake up time.

Validation is fundamental.

/Roger