Re: [xml-dev] help request: incremental XSLT(-ish?) in javascript

It's probably not the environment Thomas is looking for, but I believe
that InfoPath works this way. It uses XSLT (along with some extension
attributes) to define a round-trip mapping between stylesheet and source
tree. Those source-result bindings allow the processor to redraw part of
the result without having to run the whole transformation over again.
Chapter 10 (which I wrote) of Office 2003 XML[1] is basically a
revserse-engineering of InfoPath's XSLT internals. I don't recall if I
covered this optimization in the book, but I seem to recall reading
about it.

Here's a quote I found just now: "To avoid running the entire XSLT
transformation every time the end user enters data in a view or clicks a
formatting control for rich text, algorithms are used to determine which
portion of the view needs to be refreshed. Then only the relevant
portion of the XSLT stylesheet is applied to the DOM, and the affected
portion of the view is refreshed."[2]

Evan Lenz
http://lenzconsulting.com

[1] http://books.google.com/books?id=xYEyK_7TWP8C&pg=PA426