Re: [xml-dev] Does DTD allow deriving all possible paths in an XML document?

* ycao5@scs.carleton.ca wrote:
>     I have one question about XML DTD. In a paper, the authors say
>that DTD allows deriving all possible paths from the root to the
>leaves appearing in related XML documents. Does this statement
>correct? Based on my knowledge, DTD may not contain all possible
>elements in an XML document. I would like to get your opinion. Thanks.

The XML specification in effect gives a definition for all possible
paths in well-formed documents. A document type definition specifies
a subset of that set in valid documents with respect to the document
type definition. In other words, it allows you discriminate between
paths that may occur in valid documents and paths that must not. In
that the statement is correct. You are also correct that a document
type definition may not specify all elements in some document, such
documents are not valid however.