Re: [xml-dev] Shredding XML

Ron Bourret has some excellent references here
http://www.rpbourret.com/xml/XMLDBLinks.htm#Relational

I took a 1 day class from him years ago in which he covered the topic
very well.
I suggest its too big a topic for an email discussion.

I've been faced with this problem myself on multiple occasions where the
organization is not very XML friendly and "needs" the data in a
relational DB and inevitably the solution has been

1) Dont do it.
--> XML ended up in files , sometimes a DB table with top level topics
or some basic metadata only.

2) Put XML in "Blob" fields
--> solves the "letter of the law" -- yea its in "A Relational Database"
but its useless

3) Its a royal PITA
A shredding can end up with about 2x the # of distinct elements into
tables.   Handling mixed content is excruciatingly painful.
Doing a good job usually ends up with relational data thats almost
impossible to access relationally.

But it all really depends on how complicated your XML is.   If its dirt
simple XML then shredding it may work fine for you.

David A. Lee
dlee@calldei.com
http://www.calldei.com
http://www.xmlsh.org