XML spec and XSD

Hi all,
   Seeing the XML 1.0, 5th edition spec (ref,
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml/) I cannot find any reference to the
phrase "XML Schema" or XSD (which are the XML Schema languages,
defined by the W3C specs viz specified at,

The XML 1.0 spec, certainly refers to the word DTD and provides the
complete definition of DTD semantics, and how it integrates with XML
as a validation technology. This all is great.

But I wonder, why the XML spec (1.0 or 1.1) doesn't mention XSD (i.e,
W3C XML Schema language) as also a second XML validation language
(i.e, other than DTD)? I am curious to know, was this decision not to
mention XSD as a validation technology in XML specs, was a consicous
one? If yes, what advantages we have achieved by this decision?

This curiousity spurs to my mind, keeping in mind that XSD is a very
important XML validation technology today, which is a W3C standard and
implemented widely in software applications.

Mukul Gandhi