RE: [xml-dev] XML spec and XSD

DTD is special, sadly.  It got lodged in the XML spec in the early days, too
deeply to be excised now, a legacy of SGML I think?  There seems to have
been an insistence on making validity a property of the document, rather
than a separate concern, as it is w/XSD and others. Probably someone older
and wiser can give you a more complete explanation.

-Mike