RE: [xml-dev] XML spec and XSD

In my mind it wasn't clear where validation belonged and secondly who should
be responsible for it being done.  To clarify, SGML made it reasonably
simple for a technical writer to express document definition, not validation
per se, but an as-simple-as=possible 'these are the contents in the order
needed for this specific task or communication'.  Most of the fancy math
computer sciency database stuff got ladled on to that basic need because we
in the business of writing documents were increasingly writing for computer
science applications instead of law, regulations, etc.  We tended to bow
down to the programmers.

Dropping validation was on some minds most particularly the computer
scientists who wanted markup to serve their needs.   They have a lot of
experience string schlepping and the idea that validation was necessary to
define outside of their own code seemed wasteful and that at a time when
every CPU cycle was sacred because scarce.   To the writers having the
toolkit to define the document made sense because frankly the computer
scientists were even lousier at that then the lawyers had been.  So markup
became the possession of the computer scientists instead of the writers.

It is bit like the scene in Star Wars where the Senate cheers mightily for
the new Emperor.  They think it a pretty good idea at the time.

DTDs were and in many ways still a pretty good compromise for giving power
tools to people who don't write a lot of code.  XSD might have been a better
compromise but once again the theoreticians, the math wonks and the compiler
wonks took the field.  Like a very heavy sword, it became something very
powerful in the right hands and too hard to wield in others.

Sad but so:  Microsoft had it right in the beginning.  Politics and market
ideology were the avatars of local ambition.  It's hard to fight a truckload
of speeding money driven by ideologues at the behest of bankers.

len