XML's place in the world

[I wrote this bit as part of a NoSQL conversation at O'Reilly, but think
it might be interesting, or at least provocative, in a broader XML
context. Any thoughts?]

My general sense - and this doubtless has a lot of confirmation bias
to it - is that XML is retreating to the document-based home territory
where it made the most sense anyway.  JSON is easing it off the Web.
RDF and just plain APIs make a lot more sense for graph-centric
data.

XML will continue for interchange and in places where tree
structures work and the overhead isn't too bad, but the "XML
Everywhere" vision is retreating.

In the long run, I think that's better for both the world and XML,
though maybe not for XQuery.

--
Simon St.Laurent
http://simonstl.com/