XML's place in the world

[I wrote this bit as part of a NoSQL conversation at O'Reilly, but think
it might be interesting, or at least provocative, in a broader XML
context. Any thoughts?]

My general sense - and this doubtless has a lot of confirmation bias
to it - is that XML is retreating to the document-based home territory
where it made the most sense anyway.  JSON is easing it off the Web.
RDF and just plain APIs make a lot more sense for graph-centric

XML will continue for interchange and in places where tree
structures work and the overhead isn't too bad, but the "XML
Everywhere" vision is retreating.

In the long run, I think that's better for both the world and XML,
though maybe not for XQuery.

Simon St.Laurent