XML.orgXML.org

Re: [xml-dev] An inquiry into the nature of XML and how it orients ourperception of information

On 2009-11-20, at 10:56 PM, rjelliffe@allette.com.au wrote:

> The use of classes and subclasses is characteristic but not definitive of
> an object-oriented system. An object-oriented system is merely one where
> all the characteristics of a thing (typically methods and fields) are
> bundled, and where most or all things are objects.

Ever since Day 0, I've been uncomfortable with the notion that there's anything O-O about XML.  It seems to me at a pretty deep level that O-O is about hiding and encapsulation; an object is a thing that can do some things on demand, don't bother your pretty little head about how it's done.

It seems to me like XML is oriented exactly 180 in the opposite direction: Here's the data, here are some labels for the data, here are some ordering and containment relationships, you're free to do whatever you want with it.  That's a good thing and (I've always the big win) - the provider doesn't constrain what the receiver does.  -Tim