Re: [xml-dev] Where does the term "element" come from?

Costello, Roger L. wrote:
> It is historical curiosity. I would like to understand the history of
> XML. To that end, I'd like to know how the term "element" came about.

I’m pretty sure you’re going to have to do some time in the library.
Y’know, the place with the stacks of ground-up, boiled, pressed trees.
The term “element” in markup goes back at least as far as GML, and I am
guessing that they used a CS term of art at the time.  Various journals
might have more, and possibly the original coiner of the term in this
sense, but I don’t know that anyone still on this list was present at
the time.

~Chris
“The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of
 the human mind to correlate all its contents.” — H.P. Lovecraft
GnuPG Fingerprint: C6E4 E2A9 C9F8 71AC 9724 CAA3 19F8 6677 0077 C319