RE: [xml-dev] Marketplace XML Vocabularies

At 02:42 PM 12/31/2009, you wrote:
>The meaning is nice, but what effect should result from an
>application processing the <Author> element? That, it seems to me,
>is vitally important for a specification to provide. Do you agree?

Original design of SGML on which XML was designed was to separate
this formatting from the content. The formatting in many cases is
case dependant. In some applications you might not need to display
the author information or you want to use it in multiple ways.

>Assertion: an XML vocabulary that has aspirations of ending up in
>the marketplace must be described by a specification that provides
>both meaning and effect. Do you agree?

Some default information about presentation might be nice but it
shouldn't required.

Note I come from the publications side of the world.

..dan

Danny Vint

Panoramic Photography
http://www.dvint.com