RE: [xml-dev] Lesson Learned: Use namespaces for both markup anddata

> I am 95% certain that the
> pain caused by allowing prefix declarations only on the root
> element would be far less than the pain caused by allowing
> redeclarations of prefixes.

That would mean an XSLT processor would have to build the result tree in
memory rather than serializing it on the fly. The cost of that for people
transforming large documents is quite significant.

(But the question is academic. If we were changing this rule, we would want
to change lots of other rules at the same time.)

Regards,

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/
http://twitter.com/michaelhkay