RE: [xml-dev] Marketplace XML Vocabularies

Liam

"meaning in XML documents is "extrinsic".  Perhaps it would be safer to say
that meaning is extrinsic to eXtensible Markup Language - although some may
argue that even XML constrains expression.
I do not believe, however, that meaning is extrinsic to instances of XML
that conform to XML vocabularies (XML documents)

The distinction between intrinsic and extrinsic is useful, however it is
important to emphasis that different vocabularies of XML (and their
documents) contain meaning intrinsically more or less (not zero meaning) The
meaning these vocabularies carry may more or less cannote or denote usage,
or, in the case of a programming language like XSLT codified in XML, the XML
is most often passed through an XSLT processor that renders an outcome
defined by the formal semantics specification of that vocabulary.

Each XML vocabulary is different and XSLT carries more intrinsic meaning
whereas XHTML carries less.  In vocabularies like XHTML alot of the meaning
is contained in the text() nodes and is given meaning by the language
contained theirin.

I would argue that the use and meaning of XSLT Xml is intrinsic to the XSLT
XML itself.  This is not to say I could not use XQuery on some XSLT
documents to count how many time the <xsl:if> tag was used.

This discussion also touches on controversies such as should there be an XML
representation for languages like XQuery or Java...

Jim