Re: [xml-dev] What are the "externalities" of deploying a web service?

> But you don't bear the costs associated with the increased congestion
and delays you
> impose on other users of the Internet. ... Increased congestion and
delays are externalities
> of deploying a web service. What are the other externalities? Who pays
for the externalities?
> For instance, who pays for the additional routers and DNS servers?

I think your model of the network is too simplistic.

If A hosts a very popular service and B uses it and C's "quality of
service" goes down, you are assuming that A is responsible and is somehow
getting a free ride by others paying for externalities. But why isn't B
responsible, since it is using the service?  And if B and C have the same
provider, then perhaps the provider, D, needs to increase capacity or
lower B's usage through technology (CDN's) or economics (bandwidth caps)
or other means.

STSM, WebSphere Appliance Architect