Re: [xml-dev] What are the "externalities" of deploying a web service?

> But you don't bear the costs associated with the increased congestion
and delays you
> impose on other users of the Internet. ... Increased congestion and
delays are externalities
> of deploying a web service. What are the other externalities? Who pays
for the externalities?
> For instance, who pays for the additional routers and DNS servers?

I think your model of the network is too simplistic.

If A hosts a very popular service and B uses it and C's "quality of
service" goes down, you are assuming that A is responsible and is somehow
getting a free ride by others paying for externalities. But why isn't B
responsible, since it is using the service?  And if B and C have the same
provider, then perhaps the provider, D, needs to increase capacity or
lower B's usage through technology (CDN's) or economics (bandwidth caps)
or other means.

        /r$

--
STSM, WebSphere Appliance Architect