RE: [xml-dev] element markup in attributes

> I'm afraid XML-centric views of the world have little
> traction with the creators of HTML5.

I don't think that's entirely true. They got quite upset when they
discovered that their new DOCTYPE syntax couldn't be generated by XSLT 1.0
processors, and they designed a variant of the syntax to get around this.
They have also been struggling to make the language compatible with DOM and
XPath. For at least some of the members of the group, designing a language
that can be generated using XSLT stylesheets is on their requirements list.
The problem, I think, is that it's not at the top of the requirements list,
so they end up bridging the chasm with increasingly convoluted workarounds.

It would be interesting to know how this new "elements within attributes"
syntax is going to appear to the Javascript DOM user.

Regards,

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/
http://twitter.com/michaelhkay