Re: [xml-dev] XML Signature/Encryption in MSXML 4.0/6.0

Jirka Kosek wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm struggling with finding COM component which can be used together
> with MSXML4.0/6.0 for signing and encrypting XML documents. Any hints?
> (Please note that for this project .NET framework can't be used, it has
> to be win32 solution only).

I assume that this is not what you want, but in case.... This is a
possibility, if you want to build something yourself.

I assume you want a tool that enclose you top element into the following
structur
<Encrypted><Document>...</Document><Signature>...</Signature></Encrypted>,
where the Document element is the content that you want to sign and
Signature contains the signature (secure hash digest encrypted with
secret key). You could use PGP and build such a conversion without
severe problems. Essentially, the PGP tools can be used to generate a
signature in a separate file. The XML document and the signature files
can be merged into a single document. When you want to verifiy the
signature, then extract the document and the signature into separate
files and use PGP tools to do the verification. Note that there is no
proper infrastructure for handling keys in PGP, so it really depends on
what you want it for.

Another possibility on the open source side is to use cacert.org
certificates. I am unsure of how to sign files using this. It should be
possible, but the question is what tools are available. The advantage is
that there is an infrastructure for certificates and verification thereof.

/Jonas

--
Carpe Diem!
===