RE: [xml-dev] Should information be encoded into identifiers?

Hi Folks

Here is a slightly different twist on use of local identifiers within a
system.
We had to decide this when assigning IDs in our CMS.  In the end we went
with an ID that had no semantic information with an "annotation" added to
the ID.  The reason we added the annotation is if you encounter a link in
the XML to, for instance, an image, you might want to know something
semantically about the linkee being referenced in some far flung "raw" XML
editor (unlike a WYSIWYG XML Editor) - like Oxygen in raw mode or a Browser
XML view.

For example:

href="/Content/foo_xi46.gif" references foo_xi46.gif somewhere in the CMS.
The "/Content/foo_ " and the ".gif" are only annotations.  The "xi46" is the
unique identifier.

Since they are annotations, if you change the name of the file (or less
often the file extension) then the link does not break and we can fix up the
link next time we touch that file.

Now, in a closed system such as this, you might argue that you just need
hover text and properties and then there is no need for these annotations -
but our system is not closed with people able to use outside tools to
inspect the raw XML - thus we ended up with these identifer annotations.

Jim