RE: [xml-dev] Re: xml-dev Digest 24 Mar 2010 11:49:31 -0000 Issue 2307

> I disagree that this specifies the order of execution.
> >>  example 3: for i in 1..length(array) yield function(a[i])
> The results must be in order but the execution need not.

Well, that depends on the semantics of the language in which it's written,
which we don't know. Many procedural languages have syntax a bit like this,
and allow function() to have side-effects such as changing global variables,
and in such a case it's quite plausible that the language semantics would
require sequential execution. On the other hand many functional languages
also have similar constructs, and don't allow function() to have
side-effects, and don't mandate sequential execution.

Michael Kay