Re: [xml-dev] To namespace or not to Namespace ....

On 7 April 2010 13:49, Simon St.Laurent <simonstl@simonstl.com> wrote:
> On 4/5/10 11:59 PM, Liam R E Quin wrote:
>>
>> If you don't have an ambiguity problem, the complexity of namespaces
>> is simply unlikely to give you any benefit.
>
> I'll agree with Liam, to the extent that I'd like to see that emblazoned on
> a brass plaque somewhere in the XML Hall of Fame.
>
> The opening "if" is important, of course.

True.  However, can you be sure that somewhere down the line some
other consumer of your markup won't come along?  The pain from
retrofitting namespaces is much, much worse than coding them in from
the start.

My suggestion would be to use a namespace, as it brands your markup
and prevents problems down the line, and definitely use a prefix.

Unprefixed namespaced xml can be a pain, but prefixed xml is no problem at all.

--
Andrew Welch
http://andrewjwelch.com