RE: [xml-dev] To namespace or not to Namespace ....

A common usage pattern for us has been to use namespaces only when there are
in fact multiple sources of tagging in a single document, in our
application.  We're generally last-stop consumers of XML and don't need to
worry very much about others re-using our content - we deliver HTML.  And
when we do have namespaces (say when there is metadata encoded using dublin
core, and main text in a publisher's format), we tend to leave the primary
text unprefixed, to aid readability.

This saves us some of the headaches of namespaces, at least some of the
time.  Uche alluded to a vast list - to my way of thinking, the situation
can be summed up by the fact that whenever someone writes some XML
processing code that looks fine, but mysteriously fails to work, the problem
is very often due to a missing namespace declaration somewhere.

For those creating XML stores intended for re-use in other environments,
like David Lee I guess, I would tend to agree that namespacing seems like
the right thing to do.  However, who is the intended beneficiary of this
namespace largesse?  This discussion brings to mind Tommie Usdin's talk at
last year's Balisage, where she urged caution about the adoption of
standards for their own sake.  It might be that by the time namespaces
really become necessary, there will be other unforseen issues that make the
whole discussion moot.

-Mike