Subject: RE: [xml-dev] To namespace or not to Namespace ....
From: "Michael Kay" <mike@saxonica.com>
Date: Wed, April 07, 2010 3:51 pm
To: "'Simon St.Laurent'" <simonstl@simonstl.com>, <liam@w3.org>
Cc: "'David'" <dlee@calldei.com>, <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>

> > If you don't have an ambiguity problem, the complexity of
> namespaces is simply unlikely to give you any benefit.
>
> I'll agree with Liam, to the extent that I'd like to see that
> emblazoned on a brass plaque somewhere in the XML Hall of Fame.
>
> The opening "if" is important, of course.

Well, I beg to differ. You may not have an ambiguity problem, but when
someone else tries to use your vocabulary as part of something bigger, they
may have an ambiguity problem. If the designers of the XSLT and XSD
vocabularies had not used namespaces, it would have been difficult or
impossible for someone else coming along later to define a document type in
which both vocabularies coexisted.

So I'd say: if you want to design your vocabulary for longevity and reuse,
put it in a namespace.

Regards,

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/