Re: [xml-dev] RE: xquery v1.1 tracking xquery x was Re: [xml-dev] RE: Declarative programming requires a different mindset

Mike's pretty much got it right re: XQueryX, but I thought I might
add my perspective.  Among other jobs, I'm the editor for the XQueryX
1.1 document and the primary editor of the XQueryX 1.0 document.

First, as Mike implied, XQueryX 1.1 is to XQuery 1.1 what XQueryX 1.0
was (is, actually) to XQuery 1.0.  That is, it's an XML syntax to
represent the semantics of the same version of XQuery.

Second, in the same manner that the XML Query WG has striven to
ensure the absolutely fewest incompatibilities possible between
XQuery 1.1 and XQuery 1.0, it has striven to ensure the fewest
possible incompatibilities between XQueryX 1.1 and XQueryX 1.0.  I'm
reluctant to make absolute statements, but I believe that there are
in fact *no* incompatibilities at the XML syntax level between
XQueryX 1.1 and XQueryX 1.0.  What incompatibilities might exist
would be purely in the semantic differences between the two versions
of the XQuery language.

What one will see in XQueryX 1.1 is some areas where the XML syntax
doesn't map to the human-readable syntax in precisely the same manner
that XQueryX 1.0 syntax mapped to the XQuery 1.0 syntax.  This was
done to eliminate possible syntax differences at the XQueryX
level.  (No, that doesn't imply an incompatible difference in the
XQuery 1.1 syntax, either, only a difference in the manner in which
the grammar mappings were done.)

In fact, the XQuery grammar *has* been modeled in XML.  The grammar
that you see printed/displayed in Appendix A of the XQuery (1.0 and
1.1) specs is generated from XML sources; in fact, we've integrated
the XPath, XQuery, Update, and Full Text grammars in those XML
sources and each document generates its own grammar from the same
sources.  But I don't know what you mean by "a shorthand version of
XQuery".  If you're familiar with the XQueryX syntax, you'll know
that the XQueryX expression of a given query requires several times
as many characters (keystrokes, bytes, whatever measure you use) as
the same query expressed in the human-readable syntax.  I wouldn't
call that a "shorthand" ;^)

Hope this helps,
    Jim