Re: [xml-dev] 'is-a' Relationships in XML?

I'd propose some best practice principles then

1. semantic queries regarding XML should ideally be written in a semantic
query language

2. semantic queries using XPath should be considered second best

3. semantic conformance rules / criteria should be tested using
semantic assertions
(just as we can test structural criteria using XPath assertions such
as Schematron,
XSD 1.1, test assertion markup with XPathsm and other associations between rules
and XPaths, etc)

4. semantics can be defined for a markup using semantic / ontology languages

5. semantic expressions can be evaluated over the markup using semantic queries
but for this, maybe further work is needed to establish how to
associate XPaths with
the semantic definitions

Best regards

Stephen D Green