RE: [xml-dev] 'is-a' Relationships in XML?

My gut feel is "no", because genericode is suitable for expressing a
fully- or sparsely-populated keyed table.  Given that both ontologies
and schemas are hierarchical, and the table and its key are flat, it
may take too much shoehorning to suitably express context when
ontology and schema members have the same names in different contexts.

For schemas expressed using naming and design rules such as UBL's
NDRs, it starts to make more sense to use genericode because the
uniqueness for the key is found in the parent/child relationship of
elements.  Context is uniquely found in parents in UBL.  I can
imagine two columns: parent and child, and the genericode key being
the combination of the two, and then supplemental information about
that unique context in the columns.

Of course in UBL there already exists a single key value for
parent/child relationships, that being the dictionary entry name, but
that may not be true for other schemas that have uniqueness in the
parent/child combination.

For the next issue to go two ways as you ask, it would then be
necessary in genericode to express every member of the ontology
uniquely.  So it would depend on properties of the ontology to know
if such a key-able value exists.

I hope this helps.

--
Principles of XSLT for XQuery Writers: San Francisco,CA 2010-05-03
XSLT/XQuery/UBL/Code List training: Trondheim,Norway 2010-06-02/11