Re: [xml-dev] Inconsistent expansion of {} inside strings ...

On 10/05/2010 15:28, David wrote:
 > I ran into this today and it surprised me.  I'm sure this is "as
 > documented" but was wondering if anyone could provide a rationale ?
 > {} expansion occurs within strings in attributes but not in "plain

You didn't say, but you're asking about xquery syntax.

in xslt (where the notation comes from) the rationale is that {} is
never a special character in Xpath, it is just used to trigger xpath
evaluation in certain contexts, (notably attribute values of literal
result elements).

In Xquery, where of course {} is a special character the rationale has
to be reworded slightly but is essentially the same, allowing xquery
evaluation within a string literal would complicate things with no extra
functionality as you can always just use concat if you need to construct
a string.