Schema aware creation of XML.. Question

I'm working on a project where I want to create XML according to a
schema, given not enough information from the data itself.
For example suppose I have a element name and a name/value pair like

     element: record
     name:     field
     value:     "A value"

I want to constantly create a specific XML element from this, say for
example
<element field="A Value"/>

Or perhaps
<element>
<field>A Value</field>
</element>

The source data does not give me enough data to choose between these
(and possibly other) representations.
So how to choose ?

I was thinking that if I had a schema (say WSD, DTD, RNG etc ... ) that
defined the type of element,
I could use the schema information to choose the correct format to create.
I understand there may be ambiguities but am willing to work with a
subset of data formats to limit these.

Now I know if I use a Schema Aware xslt or XQuery processor, I could do
the reverse.
That is I could read XML and then validate it against the schema, get
the types etc.
But I dont know how that will help *generating* XML .
Certainly once I generated the XML I could use  xquery   validate { xml
}  ... but I want the schema information *before* constructing the XML
(not construct every possible XML values and validate until it succeeds ).

How to do that ?

My thoughts are that I need to use a schema reading tool, probably in
Java, to read the schema and then use the type information from the schema
to guide in the construction.   But are there other ways ?   I thought
about reading the schema directly "as XML" (say an XSD or RNG xml
formatted schema),
but I think that may be very difficult becauase the schema is not fully
expanded.  There are a lot of "rules" that have to be processed for a
schema to make sense.

Any other suggestions ? Am I missing some "obvious technology" or tools
to do this ?

Any ideas very welcome.

-David

--