Re: [xml-dev] Statistics of real published xml data

Well, before you can measure anything, the first thing to do is to
define what you're measuring: what exactly do you mean by "real
published XML data". I understand the "XML" part, but what would you
exclude as being "not real", "not published", or "not data"?

For example, does "published" include both free and paid-for? Does it
include content that is only available to selected recipients, e.g.
travel information "published" exclusively to travel agents? Does "data"
mean that you exclude formats such as XHTML, RSS, or MusicXML?

Once you've got a good definition (which is hard) you can start trying
to collect some statistics (which is much harder). My suggestion would
be to take just one small segment of the market - for example geographic
data - and try to understand that one area and measure the activity in
that segment.

Alternatively, you've hinted that you might want to focus on one
particular means of publishing - "publish/subscribe systems". If you can
define those systems clearly and unambiguously (again, that's hard) then
you could tackle the problem by looking for people who are using that
technology, and investigating what they are doing with it. But this
seems a little odd to me - it's like trying to get statistics on the
amount of marketing bumph produced by looking at one particular way of
printing the stuff.

Michael Kay
Saxonica