From: Jack Bush <netbeansfan@yahoo.com.au>
To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
Sent: Mon, 28 June, 2010 11:15:46 PM
Subject: [xml-dev] Could not retrieve attributes from XML document loaded in JDOM

Hi All,

I am having difficulty reading and parsing the following XML City.xml document using Saxon parser and XPath:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional/ /EN" "http://www. w3.org/TR/ xhtml1/DTD/ xhtml1-transitio nal.dtd">
    <head>
        ……..
    </head>
              ……….

Below is the code snippets that illustrates how I tried to retrieve the attribute title of <a>:
 1. BufferedReader incomingbrXml = new BufferedReader(new FileReader("C:\City.xml"));
2. SAXBuilder saxBuilder = new SAXBuilder(false);
3. Document jdomXmlDocument = saxBuilder.build(incomingbrXml);4. String city_content = null;
5. XPath cityXPath = XPath.newInstance("/ns:html/ns:body/ns:div[@id='content']/ns:table[@class='sresults']/ns:tr/ns:td/ns:a/@title");
6. java.util.List cityList = cityXPath.selectNodes(jdomXmlDocument);
7. Iterator city_iterator = cityList.iterator();
8. while (city_iterator.hasNext()) {
9.     city_content = ((org.jdom.Attribute)city_iterator.next()).getValue();
10.   if (city_content.length() != 0) {
11.       System.out.println("Area Url:" + area_content.toString()); }
12. }

I would like to get the following output:

Hollywood , CA
San Jose , CA
San Francisco , CA
San Diego , CA

Instead, the
 I am running JDK 1.6.0_17, Netbeans 6.7, JDOM 1.1, Saxon9.1 on Windows XP platform.
Any assistance would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
JackjdomXmlDocument);jdomXmlDocument is made up of only the first few lines of City.xml and nothing on the body when debugging in Netbeans. I am running this program online so there would not be an issue with entity resolver that took place on line 2.