Re: [xml-dev] Polyglot Markup - serializer questions

> The doc discusses the difference between empty tags which are EMPTY vs
> This would imply (?) that an XML serializer would need to know when
> its OK and not to compress empty tags.
> Serializers such as Saxon with html encoding do this but they do it
> differently ... e.g a <br/> in XML becomes <br>  in html mode.
> Does following this standard imply that we need new output methods for
> serializers?

This doesn't strike me as very different from what the XHTML output
method already does. It has hard-coded knowledge of the vocabulary to
distinguish elements with an empty content model from those that just
happen to be empty, but one could equally well make the same decision
based on access to a schema.

Michael Kay
Saxonica