Re: [xml-dev] Re: Question external entities and relative URis

On 15/07/2010 00:47, Karl Fischer wrote:
> David Carlisle<davidc<at>  nag.co.uk>  writes:
>

>> On 14/07/2010 09:40, Karl Fischer wrote:
>>>    won't any relative URIs in them be interpreted as being relative
>>> to the URI of the DTD and not URI of the entity file they were declared in?
>>>

>> No the inclusion mechanism is supposed to "remember" the URI where the
>> inclusion came from and resolve relative links within that scope
>> accordingly.
>>
>> David
>
> So that means that external entities can't just be included into the document
> and parsed as if they were part of it and instead need separate, special parsing
> to keep track of the URIs?
>

> _
well the spec's not over clear but that's my reading (and I think it's
what existing parsers do). For external parsed entities, if you want to
simply inline, you can (sometimes) make use of xml:base to locally reset
the base URI, but for the examples you gave of parameter entities in a
DTD I don't think there is any local scoping construct that you could
use with xml:base, so you need to keep track of the scope of the inclusion.

David