Subject: [xml-dev] piling new semantics on old
From: "Simon St.Laurent" <simonstl@simonstl.com>
Date: Tue, July 13, 2010 2:19 pm
To: "xml-dev@lists.xml.org" <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>

Once upon a time we used b for bold and i for italic. Now, well, I
don't think anyone's sure any more.

http://www.w3.org/International/questions/qa-b-and-i-tags

We talk a lot here about the difficulties of versioning and the
challenges that creates for interpreting documents. I think this may be
an excellent case of just how strange simple things can become after that.

There is, of course, the class attribute to help, but after hearing
various claims about how semantics should really be carried by elements
in HTML5, it seems inconsistent somehow.

Oh well - hopefully this will enrich some XML vocabulary-building tutorials.

--
Simon St.Laurent
http://simonstl.com/