XML documents with non-standard file extensions under Windows 7 - for example .gc Genericode files

Hi,

We are facing an issue with XML documents and Windows7. The issue does NOT occur using Windows XP.

The objective:

We have XML documents with non-standard file extensions (in particular OASIS Genericode files with a .gc extension) .

We want to configure Windows7 so that a Open or Doubleclick will display the .gc file in InternetExplorer8. (there is a rendering stylesheet referenced by the .gc file)

The issue:

Windows7 has less options for configuring file types.

So far, we have not been able to achieve the above.

Whatever we try (including third party file type managers for Windows7), when doubleclicking a .gc file it either:

-        Pops up a “File Download’ window with a Open/Save/Cancel button
where Open loops back to the same “File Download” window, Save saves the file with the same opening behaviour, OR

-        Internet Explorer starts up, but displays a “Navigation to webpage cancelled” error.

Has anyone experienced the same issue, or perhaps found a solution to it?

Many thanks

Juerg Tschumperlin

Wellington, New Zealand