Re: [xml-dev] Quiz: how many namespaces are in scope?

> That's an odd definition of "namespace node," to my mind.  You're
> asserting that each element node has three namespace "nodes" associated
> with it?

You might think it odd, but that is exactly what the XDM data model (and
the XPath 1.0 data model before it) defines.

And it has some considerable advantages, notably that when you copy any
subtree rooted at an element node, the copy automatically retains the
full namespace context.

However, it has to be said that the model has confused a great many
people, because (a) it is somewhat distantly related to the lexical view
of XML that they see on the screen in front of them, and (b) they find
it hard to envisage how it might be efficiently implemented. These two
factors have led to a great deal of resistance to the model.

I think that if XQuery Update had bought in fully to the namespace node
model, the namespace-related semantics of XQuery Update would probably
be a lot cleaner.

Michael Kay
Saxonica